Supplier name: Spyrosoft Ltd
Publication date: 09/11/2021
Commitment to achieving Net Zero
Spyrosoft is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2030.
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
|Baseline Year: 2021|
|Additional Details relating to the Baseline Emissions calculations.|
|Spyrosoft Ltd. is a UK organisation providing IT services to our clients, on a remote working basis. Our environmental commitments and targets are set out within our Environmental Policy and associated protocols for operating in a sustainable manner.
Currently, we are a relatively small operation with 22 members of staff, operating from one location in Ferndown, Dorset. However, as the fastest-growing IT services provider in Europe, we anticipate exponential year-on-year growth through an aggressive recruitment strategy. This will mean that our carbon emissions increase significantly, as our organisation evolves over the coming years.
As a result, we anticipate that our carbon reduction activities will need to be increasingly targeted to enable us to continue to evidence a year-on-year reduction, regardless of the increase in materials used, and the volume of our operations.
For clarity, in this document, the emissions data provided will be focused on Spyrosoft’s UK operations rather than our global operations.
Our reporting period begins on 1 November and ends on 31 October the following year. Our baseline year for emissions is financial year 2021, therefore the reporting period covers 1 November 2021 through 31 October 2022. This is also the baseline year for our Science-Based Target (SBT), which aims to reduce our absolute greenhouse gas emissions by 11% against our 2021 baseline by 2025, including a commitment to reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 emissions by 65%, and a 40% per unit of revenue intensity reduction for scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions over the same time period. This document covers our full UK operational scope for the specified period.
Please note that we are currently in the process of attaining ISO 14001, to afford an industry-approved framework for monitoring our business operations from an environmentally sustainable standpoint. This will enable us to commit to the accurate monitoring and reporting of our carbon emissions and reduction from the 2021 baseline, in compliance with governmental procurement requirements.
|Baseline year emissions:|
|Scope 2||Total Non-Renewable Carbon Emissions = 4.025 mtCO2e
Total Carbon Emissions from Gas = 0 mtCO2e
4. Upstream transportation and distribution = not relevant, explanation provided
Explanation: We are a software development company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in technology. Due to the nature of our business, we provide our clients with services and solutions rather than goods, and as such, transportation and distribution of goods are not relevant for us.
5. Waste generated in operations = not relevant, explanation provided
Explanation: Spyrosoft is a software development company, providing a broad range of services and solutions technology. Due to the nature of our business, waste generation is not a material source of GHG emissions. However, we do manage and track our e-waste as part of a broader environmental programme. In 2020, more than 99% of our total disposed e-waste avoided landfill.
6. Business travel = 1.719 mtCO2e
Breakdown of source(s):
Air travel = 919 mtCO2e
Rail travel = 0 mtCO2e
Taxi travel = 100 mtCO2e
Company/rental cars = 0 mtCO2e
Personal cars = 700 mtCO2
7. Employee commuting = not relevant, explanation provided
Explanation: Employee-funded commuting is not within our operational boundary/control and is not generally in scope for our environmental measurement programme. In some instances where employee commuting is reimbursed, it is included in our Scope 3 methodology such as within Business Travel.
Due to the nature of our work delivery model, the majority of our employees’ travel is to client sites where this is reimbursed travel and is included in our Scope 3 methodology.
9. Downstream transportation and distribution = not relevant, explanation provided
Explanation: Spyrosoft is a global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in technology. We do not transport or distribute products.
|Total Emissions||11.80 (tCO2e)|
Emissions reduction targets
In order to work towards achieving Net Zero, we will adopt the following carbon reduction targets:
- We will focus on actual reductions in our emissions by powering our office with 100% renewable energy by 2025
- Minimise waste by evaluating operational practices and ensuring they are as efficient as possible and minimise their environmental impact
- Raise awareness amongst employees on environmental issues, to support and encourage ideas and suggestions for improved environmental performance
- To address remaining emissions, with all reduction routes exhausted, we will invest in proprietary, nature-based carbon removal solutions that will directly remove carbon emissions from the atmosphere
- Use resources including water, energy, and other natural resources responsibly
- Promote and invest in technologies, work practices and processes that provide alternatives to business travel, such as Microsoft Teams for meetings
- Meet or exceed all the environmental legislation that relates to our organisation
- Calculate our emissions, and continue to donate to the Woodland Trust carbon reduction scheme, through reforestation nationally, to offset our calculated emissions in full.
We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 8.80 tCO2e by 2025. This is a reduction of 25.4%, through a commitment to sustainable behaviours and offsetting measures.
Carbon Reduction Projects
Completed Carbon Reduction Initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since 2020.
- Commenced offsetting by donations to the Woodland Trust for their reforestation programmes, nationally
- Initiated the process for obtaining accreditation to ISO 14001
- Updated our environmental policy and provided training to our team relating to recycling, power consumption reduction, and ethical and sustainable behaviours
- Eliminated single use plastics from our premises
- Made a commitment to local procurement only for our operational requirements to eliminate haulage emissions and transportation impacts
- Migrated to a remoter working policy to enable our team to undertake their role from home, and providing our team with software, hardware and other items to enable this.
In the future we hope to implement further measures such as:
- Purchasing Renewal Energy Certificates to mitigate consumption
- Obtaining ISO 14001 accreditation and having an approved environmental management framework
- Committing to our Zero Waste goal: By 2025, we will reuse or recycle 100% of e-waste, such as computers and servers, as well all office furniture; and will eliminate single-use plastics
- Operational updates at our UK office such as an ongoing smart meter installation programme across our offices, ongoing LED lighting upgrades, rainwater harvesting implementation and energy saving zip taps.
Carbon reduction promises:
- Switch to environmentally friendly electricity (-0.5 tons)
- Change one short-haul flight to a car/train/bus/ferry ride (-0.3 tons)
- Join a carsharing pool (-0.7 tons)
- Always ask for an electric vehicle when you book a taxi (-0.1 tons)
- Walk or bike more (-0.1 tons)
- Eat less beef and lamb (-0.5 tons)
- Eat more vegetarian food (-0.2 tons)
- Fight food waste (-0.2 tons)
- Avoid products containing palm oil (-0.1 tons)
- Go on a plastic diet (-0.1 tons)
- Shop less (-0.3 tons)
- Prioritise wooden and bamboo products (-0.1 tons)
- Adopt circular shopping habits (-0.2 tons)
- Maximise recycling (-0.1 tons).
Our climate footprint after climate promises is 8.2 tons CO2/ year
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).
Signed on behalf of the Supplier:
Managing Director, Spyrosoft UK
Telephone: +44 7787 992707